Here’s the next episode of the UNCENSORED Podcasts Season 3.
Today’s Topic: Brad’s 7 week experiment & DEXA scan
Brad Talks about his experiment after having just completed almost 7 weeks of no workouts, and no fasting.
The key to maintaining fitness is calorie intake and training. While most of us already knew this, Brad proves this in a 7 week experiment using a DEXA scan and some measurements (an experiment none of us really want to undertake – so thank you Brad for doing this for us!)
One interesting point Brad makes in the podcast is that water fluctuations within the body happen constantly. Even while eating at maintenance, not fasting, and not exercising Brad experienced the sudden weight loss (nicknamed “Whoosh”) the morning after a large meal, and also random mornings of unexplained weight gains.
This is proof that the scale being used for monitoring fat loss over time is a “trend tool” and we all need to ignore the water fluctuations that randomly happen in our body. While some water retention can be explained with sodium, DOMS, hormone cycles, and certain foods some reasons are unknown and appear to be entirely random. Don’t get caught up in worrying about random water fluctuations in the body that happen on a daily basis.
Brad answers the following questions in the podcast:
- The key to having strength and muscle is needing it.
- Muscle gain and loss is transitory.
- Fat gain and loss is transitory.
- Why you shouldn’t worry about muscle loss during a fast.
- How does muscle memory work?
- How easy it is to gain muscle back.
- When does scale weight matter?
- What metrics should you pay attention to?
- Why a DEXA scan so important?