Here’s the next episode of the UNCENSORED Podcasts Season 2.
Today’s topics: Body Composition Analysis – DEXA Results
From season one of uncensored podcasts you already know how you can use DEXA to track your progress.
But did you know that it’s also a very useful tool for experimenting with your body?
Check out how John and Brad used DEXA scan to measure effectiveness of the things they were trying in the last couple of weeks. Each of them tried a different thing.
John’s Experiment – Muscle Imbalance Correction Training
As you may already know know John can’t do barbell bench press, because off his shoulder issue. The last time he got his DEXA the results were astonishing, on his right side there was almost 2 pounds less lean mass (shoulder and arm). That’s a pretty big difference, it was obvious that the right side was significantly weaker and less developed.
Because of this, he decided to try to bring the right side back to normal, so both of his shoulders and arms would be balanced.
Now this is tricky, because if you just do barbell based exercises, one arm will work harder than the other and you will only make the problem worse.
So how would you go about it?
And how do you track such is small difference?
You can’t even go just by feeling and strength, you need to get another DEXA done to confirm the results.
John decided to create a specialized plan for himself and get another DEXA scan done at the end of this test to see what he could do about this.
As it turned out, you really can affect one side of your body and bring your lagging part back to normal to balance them out.
Surprisingly the answer wasn’t more weight, but more work and better muscle activation – as John shares in today’s episode, he had to take more time to warm up the right side to achieve the same activation throughout his regular workout.
Listen to the podcast for more information on this experiment.
Brad’s Experiment – Slow Bulking
As Brad confesses in today’s episode, he really wanted for bulking to work and I mean who doesn’t, eating more for more muscles? Sounds like a bodybuilder’s dream.
Well, the reality is different and rather boring.
In the past Brad has tried every way you could think of (and more) to make bulking work. He tried the standard 6 meals a day, 300 grams of protein, cheat days and even cheat weeks with 10 000 calorie intake and no result at all…well he did gain fat, but that’s not what he was really after.
So, it’s safe to say that bulking doesn’t work.
Then a couple months ago he thought about another way of trying bulking. He realized that each time he would try it, it would be a very quick process, never slow. So he decided to go about bulking up slowly, just a couple hundred calories here and there, he didn’t change his workouts, recorded everything and did a DEXA scan after the experiment was after.
If you wanna find out about the whole process and more importantly the results, go down and listen to the podcast.
In today’s UNCENSORED training, you will also discover:
- How to prepare the muscles that you have hard time activating for the workout
- How can you bring up a lagging part back up to balance it with the rest of the body if lifting heavier doesn’t help
- What is slow bulking and whether it can work for you
- How you can get your goals hijacked with focusing on strength gains
- Why it’s important to stop chasing weight at some point and what’s more important when the goal is muscle growth
- How if you are not careful “body building” can turn into weight lifting and power lifting and why this is dangerous to your physique goals
- Is there a relationship between being well trained at a certain movement/exercise and looking good? (The answer to this might surprise you)
- How DEXA can help you see clearly through fitness disbeliefs and help you discover what truly works for your body and what’s just BS you should avoid