Many guys lift their first weights when they’re in their late teens. This is a great time to start working out because you can leverage juvenile muscle growth as well as your workout induced muscle growth…but it only works if you know what you’re doing in the gym.
Just showing up and lifting whatever weights you can find in whatever pattern you can find will not produce the results you want. Having a structured workout plan is critical to maximizing the effort you put in the gym.
Many young guys have the effort but not the plan, this is like taking two steps forward and one step backwards and can lead to serious frustration. The plan is just as critical as the effort.
A quote to remember: “The key to success is the combination of determination and intelligent effort”
Just going to the gym and pushing hard isn’t enough, you gotta combine that effort with an effective plan.
An effective plan starts with a clearly stated goal. If that goal is to improve the look and shape of your body then you gotta get on a plan that will move you in that direction.
Building muscle will be a critical part of this.
Key take home points for guys starting out on a workout program:
- Focus on form and technique and never sacrifice form for weight
- Get clear on your specific goals
- Follow a plan that moves you towards your specific goal
- Don’t waste time in the gym, ever minute in there matters
- Forget what other people say, it’s your body your program, your rules, and your results
- Don’t get caught up jumping from one workout to the next, follow one plan until it’s done
- Remember that effort and determination isn’t enough you must apply it intelligently for success